Sign in or
Fixing Your BagAn errant ink pen. Coffee drips. Chocolate candy. Mints. Money. Hair clips. It all adds up to an interesting array of gunk that can total a beautiful bag unless you know how to save that purse with these tips!
AND, it is true that a dirty purse can carry disease just as sure as licking the handrails at the subway station. No joke!
On It's all in the bag, anyone can write anything about purses. Build your own page! Add a comment on any page! Edit a page and add a picture or link or bit of words about what you think on the topic. It is OPEN SEASON. We just need you to register and click on Easy Edit to add to the page. Or look at the menu to the right and make your own page. You can even add YouTube videos and RSS feeds to keep your stuff super cool. Even add a photo gallery.
Preventing Excessive Wear and TearYou just justified spending over a grand on the latest "It" bag by calculating "days of usage" then dividing to find your cost per day (It seems so much more worth it this way, doesn't it?). Now you've got to make sure that your bag will last you those few thousand days so your money doesn't go to waste! Here are some tips to ensure that your expensive bag will retain its value way into the future.
Miu Miu Coffer Bag in Green Leather, $1445, currently available at Net-A-Porter.
Gettting Expert HelpThere are plenty of professionals out there whose business is to troubleshoot when your purse needs emergency care.
Use this space to list and recommend companies and individuals. Note: It is highly recommended to send all high-end designer bags back to their vendors for repairs (i.e. A Gucci bag will go back to Gucci to be repaired)!
- Avelle (formerly Bag Borrow or Steal) the luxury handbag rental company recently launched Avelle Refurbishment. They offer handbag repair, cleaning, part replacement, and general reinvigorating of your favorite bags -- luxury or not! The team at Avelle has a great before and after photo gallery so you can see how close to brand-new they can make your bag look.
- Beaded Purse Repair specializes in restoring antique beaded purses.
- Newsole in Pasadena, California, is an authorized repair and restoration center for major retailers, such as, Saks Fifth Avenue, Coach, Chanel, Cole-Haan and many others.
- Fortuna's Shoe and Luggage Repair, in Bethesda, MD. Their Florence trained leather craftsman can replace or repair:Handles, Chains, Straps, Leather Threaded Chains, Snaps, Corners, Frames,Catches, Bottom Studs, Loops,Zippers, Linings, Draw Straps...
- Artbag,a New York-based company, repairs and restores damaged purses. To find out how it works logistically and how much it may cost read their FAQ pages. According to In My Bag, many top retailers send their customers to Artbag for repairs.
- ADD A REPAIR COMPANY!
Do-It-Yourself Tips & TricksUh-oh!! Bag-ccident? Was it a nasty pen mark on your Pucci or denim dye on your Dior? There are thousands of bag cleaning tips & tricks out there, but which ones really work? Share your best bag cleaning secrets below!
CHALLENGE: Margarita winecooler on leather purse .
SUGGESTION: Dab a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and soap
on the stains, rinse and air dry.
CHALLENGE: grease on coated canvas
SUGGESTION: baby wipes
CHALLENGE: Ink pen on suede.
SUGGESTION: Ice and then a little bit of dishwasher soap.
WHAT HAPPENED: Holy moly. It bled a bit and then came out but it looks a little rough there. I tried removing a stain from a fabric purse with dishwasher soap. It ruined it! The stuff is like bleach. Be very careful with it.
CHALLENGE: Ink pen on leather
SUGGESTION: Pen is just about impossible to get out of leather (especially lambskin!). Dab hydrogen peroxide on the pen marks with a Q-tip.
WHAT HAPPENED: A black pen broke on my white leather Chanel purse. I was completely disheartened (and cried for about 30 minutes straight). I got to work quickly and used hydrogen peroxide very carefully applied with a Q-tip. After an hour, the ink blots were remarkably lighter, however, it also brought up some of the dye from my purse and caused some finish damage! Hydrogen peroxide will usually do this, so be very careful when using it on colored purses!
CHALLENGE: Denim dye rubs off on light colored leather. Dark denim jeans are all the rage, but they'll ruin your light colored leather purses!
SUGGESTION: Girl, don't fret. These marks are superficial and easy to remove. I used Bally's Shoe Milk (I can't seem to find it available online) and rubbed it off my green lambskin Chloe Betty Bag very gently with a a soft shoe cloth (came with the Shoe Milk).
WHAT HAPPENED: None of the color came out of the purse, but the denim dye came up in minutes. The Shoe Milk solution is a cream, so if you can find some similar leather cleaner, it will lift those stains up in no time.
Latest page update: made by Patty
, Jun 4 2009, 9:18 AM EDT
(about this update
About This Update
Edited by Patty
4 words added
5 words deleted
- complete history)
Keyword tags: accident artbag bag ER beaded purse repair cleaning cleaning leather coach purse fortuna's leather bags newsole rescue stains tips
More Info: links to this page
There are no threads for this page. Be the first to start a new thread.